1.10.06


Weekend with the youth: october has found us so quickly and we are back from our last OVM outreach of the year, we spent the weekend with youth from a town not far out of budapest at a youth camp, we joined them for their annual camp. The camps focus was on rock music and what we fill our minds with, the youth were all from the Lutheran church and had all been confirmed this year so our focus was really on getting them to think about what that means and to realize that their faith is a choice not something inherited from their parents. The pastor of this church as a real passion to see the youth break from traditionalism and take their relationship seriously. Of course it was a teens camp so it was filled with all the extra excitement, arguments and of course annoyed caretakers, pool staff and the such. But what camp goes with out it little quirks. Last night we both had a chance to share our testimonies and do a couple skits. Yes thats right we do drama now, I know it makes me crack up to, never know what you may find yourself doing here! Lynnette is a master actress, I have a tough time keeping a straight face while in role! Well in other news the weather is still like a early september day in vancouver, we fear that winter hits it will take us completely by surprise but until then we will continue to enjoy days in shorts t-shirts and sandals. Well since we keep delaying packing for our big move this week I guess I better get on it, ah maybe not theres not so much to pack! We don't exactly have much in the way of possessions. Yet somehow things tend to pile up, when I read how Jesus told the disciples to take on the sandals on their feet and then I look at what we have it kinda hits me to think about what I really need and what is just extra, not that we can't have stuff but just what do I see as essentails as what do I see as extras. Coming here with only a small portion of what we own has really opened my eyes to how much we really have and don't really use, some of the stuff I have packed at my parents is things I use maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Maybe I should just tell my parents to just have a big garage sale, or maybe not. I guess that means I'm still attached. I would be lying if I told you I am completely disconnected with possesions but I am just a little less reliant I guess, take the microwave for example, I have come to realize I can survive without it. But I do miss popcorn, although I faintly remember it being made in some sorta spining thing. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the weekend went well. Now that you are both into drama & doing skits, we will keep that in mind for when we have the family Christmas gatherings - guess who will be providing the entertainment? Hope your move goes smoothly!

Rachel said...

Next step Hollywood for Lynnette? Sounds like she's caught the acting bug :)
I know what you are saying about possessions Kyle. After being at my parents for three months and having 90% of our stuff stored, I too found that I could actually function without it. I didn't even miss it after a while. It was a bit of a wake up call for me. I was happy to see it all when we moved out and into our new place but if I had never seen that stuff again I would have been okay. Except for my photo albums...now those are the possessions that I am very possessive of!

James Voth said...

Hey guys,

We saw your video at church last night. We miss you guys in person though. It sounded like lynnette was getting a bit of a hungarian accent already...?? haha. It was funny. Have fun packing. Moving is the greatest isn't it? (please read that in a very sarcastic tone).

Anonymous said...

great Fall pic! I agree with Andrea ... I remember we did ask Lynnette to sing at a Stobbe Gathering once, and she refused ... should have asked for a skit!!

Anonymous said...

I'll take some of your possessions

amanda barkey said...

hey kyle, joben was watching the canucks game byhimself (cause we live in alberta and they are all stupid flames fans... or oilers band wagon jumpers) but he was talking about how he wishes he had someone to watch canucks with and i thought of you cause you dont even get to watch thema nd im sure you would like to watch them even by yourself!!! soon enough cuz... when you guys get back you will have to come and visit us and watch some good ol hockey night in canada with joben. tell my beautiful cousin that i miss her! cant waitt o see you guys ... next year? have a good day buddy.

Kyle and Lynnette said...

ya im stuck to just watching the highlights on the net, could really go for sitting back and watching a full game! thats definatly on my to do list!